Are there any awesome sturdy bunk beds for adults to handle my weight?
My first encounter with a bunk bed was an unhappy one…
I had come from a tiring day in the office and was there, laying on my newly acquired bed when one side gave way…
That’s when I realized the salesgirl had played me despite having shown me a number of sturdy bunk beds for adults (she had said they specialize in adult bunk beds)!
Even today, I still thank God that I didn’t collapse on my 3-year old son who was playing nearby.
Well, I returned the bed and was sold another fake bunk bed (I was so green) but that’s a story for another day…
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a Bunk Bed?
- 2 Why Do You Need Sturdy Bunk Beds For Adults?
- 3 Types / Variations Of Adult Bunk Beds Available.
- 4 Factors To Consider When Buying The Sturdy Bunk Beds For Adults.
- 5 Reviews for the Heavy Duty Bunk Beds Suitable For Adults.
- 5.1 1. Coaster Home Furnishings Full Over Full Size Bunk Bed For Adults -400 lbs
- 5.2 2. DHP Twin-Over-Full Bunk Bed with Metal Frame and Ladder 200 lb/450 lb.
- 5.3 3. Walker Edison Twin-Over-Twin Metal Bunk Bed 250lbs
- 5.4 4. DHP Twin-Over-Twin Bunk Bed With Metal Frame And Ladder 200 Lb /225 Lb
- 5.5 5. DONCO Bunk Bed Full Over Full With Trundle
What is a Bunk Bed?
As you may know, bunk beds are household furniture comprising of two beds, one stacked on the other to form a unit.
You don’t need a box spring as mattresses lie on the Bunkie board and are often surrounded by rails.
With two people (or more) sleeping in one room, they maximize on the available floor space making them a popular piece of furniture for people living in small spaces.
Bunk beds are also great if you have several kids, or you want multipurpose furniture (some convert into sofas).
Another thing: if you are image-conscious, most standard beds cannot hold a candle to adult bunk beds…they’re way ahead in terms of cat-walking credentials.
These reasons make them very popular in hostels, summer camp cabins, dormitories, and prison cells.
Why Do You Need Sturdy Bunk Beds For Adults?
The thing is, for oversized guys- including our big friends and family- meek furniture doesn’t cut.
If it doesn’t sadly collapse, it’s hard to get into. Or plain uncomfortable.
In short, it’s an annoyance.
On the other hand, heavy duty metal bunk beds for adults have a muscular frame, strengthened joints, and have more room.
Some come with a solid headboard and footboard for support
So, if you (or your plus-size guests or kids) are to enjoy a good night sleep, get sturdy metal bunk beds by hook or by crook.
Types / Variations Of Adult Bunk Beds Available.
Originally, safe bunk beds were considered a kids thing. But a lot of water has passed under the bridge since and they are now widely accepted.
Today wood and metal bunk beds for adults come in all shapes and size:
1. Bunk Beds With Stairs.
You guessed it right. Strong bunk beds with Stairs have a staircase fitted on one side.
They offer an effortless and safe climb for everyone!
2. Bunk Bed With Desk
The premium feature for this group of heavy duty bunk beds is the sturdy desk. You can comfortably fit your computer, TV, X-box, or speakers.
Alternatively, the desk is a convenient storage for books and your magazines, newspapers and more.
Of course, your son can do his school work here.
3. Twin Over Full Bunk Bed
This category of adult size bunk beds resembles standard sturdy bunk beds only that they have a full size mattress (lower bank) and a twin size on the top bunk.
4. Queen Bunk Beds For Adults
Queen bunk beds for heavy people are larger than full size bunk beds for adults.
The increased length and width makes them a popular choice among couples.
5. Triple Bunk Bed
These types of sturdy bunk beds for adults and even kids are mostly L-shaped and can sleep three children or guests.
Typically, their third bed is lofted and joined to the topmost bunk bed.
Factors To Consider When Buying The Sturdy Bunk Beds For Adults.
So, if you are buying sturdy bunk beds for adults, what should you take or avoid? Here are a few questions to ponder:
- Is There Enough Room Between The Bunks?
Ouch! You don’t want to keep hitting your head against the upper bank. So, when surveying the best bunk beds, measure the space between the bucks.
If it’s the type that forces you to stoop or hunch over, then it’s time to look at other top rated bunk beds.
- What Is Its Maximum Weight Capacity?
I can’t say this loud enough! …You’ve to check its weight limit.
Choosing an underweight bunk may save you bucks but may have serious consequences…there’s even a very real possibility of collapsing with your bed.
So, for instance, if you are around 400 lbs. I would expect you to consider only those bunk beds that hold 400 pounds
- Are They Separable?
Your situation may change and find yourself in a bigger house. Or your kids may move out of home.
This makes heavy duty metal bunk beds or wood bunk beds which can be unbanked brilliant.
- What About The Mattress Size?
Bunk beds rarely come with mattresses.
And most manufacturers recommend the best mattress thickness for their bunk beds but just in case it doesn’t have those guidelines, know that a majority work with the 8 inches mattresses.
Whether pre-owned or buying a new one, it’s important to ensure that your mattress of choice has a comfortable thickness.
- Is It Stable Enough?
All other factors constant, you need to purchase the strongest bunk bed available.
The frame should be made such that it will neither squeak nor crack under pressure.
After all, we are talking about crazy figures like 500 lbs.
- Do You Have A Favorite Type?
As I mentioned earlier on, there’s no shortage of styles and designs when we come to sturdy bunk beds for adults
Ask yourself…which of the 5 types will serve your needs?
For instance, we had seen that couples find queen bunk beds for adults more practical because of their larger size.
- Is it Accessible?
How is your bunk bed accessed? Is it through ladders or stairs? Of the two, which do you find easier?
Pick a bunk bed that is you can get in/out easily.
- How Is Its Assembly?
Some of the sturdy bunk beds for adults are very complex and hard to setup.
They have either unclear instructions or may be missing some essentials like nuts and bolts.
They, therefore, waste your time.
Reviews for the Heavy Duty Bunk Beds Suitable For Adults.
Here now are reviews of some of the best sturdy bunk beds for adults
1. Coaster Home Furnishings Full Over Full Size Bunk Bed For Adults -400 lbs
Talk about stability, safety, comfort, reliability……this has it all and perhaps more.
At 82 x 60.8 x 65 inches (LXWXH), this Coaster Home Furnishings Full Over Full Size Bunk Bed (Check it On Amazon.com) is ideal for small spaces. And beautiful- I have a soft spot for gun metal paint and I find this bed quite pretty.
The curved two-inch metal tubing gives it admirable strength- you feel stable, secure, and well-supported.
Crowning its protective features are the solid guard rails…
Even the built-in ladder follows the trend- it’s similarly well-constructed and firm.
The stair treads are flat – not the slippery round type- and 1.5-inch deep making them very easy and safe to climb.
The distance from its top bunk and the bottom is about 37 ½ -inches and should provide enough clearance for you to sit upright head down there regardless of the thickness of your mattress.
Lastly, its assembly is easy and your full sized mattresses should fit easily.
- Full over full
- Gunmetal color
- Metal curve design
- 2 built-in bilateral ladders
- Capacity: 400 lbs.
- It has a contemporary gunmetal finishing and gives your space a beautiful touch
- The metal curve style holds steady against weight
- The bed is easier to get into/out
- The distance between the top and the lower bunks is fairly big
- This bed is silent even when climbing
- Its design won’t allow you to separate it into two heavy duty full over full bunk beds
- It lacks a headboard so your pillows may keep falling off.
The curved metal design and the gun-metal finishing make this steady and stylish.
Given a chance, I would severally vote it my number.1 heavy duty bunk bed.
2. DHP Twin-Over-Full Bunk Bed with Metal Frame and Ladder 200 lb/450 lb.
For most non-buyers, the cons of buying sturdy bunk beds are largely centered on their seemingly steep pricing.
But it’s maybe because they have never heard of this DHP Twin-Over-Full Bunk Bed (Check it On Amazon.com) which is an extremely well-constructed bed despite it being soft on your pocket.
In this, you get one of the best overall quality as well.
Other than being inexpensive, very sturdy (has an ultra-strong metal frame), and lighter- you can actually push it on your own.
Its design leaves plenty of room underneath – great for storage or a trundle.
Its superior workmanship also includes more metal slats which help in balance as your weight is uniformly distributed across the entire bed.
Then, the built-in ladders are fitted expertly and are very comfortable when climbing.
You will also notice that the top guard rails are taller than what we have in some of the competition and leave enough space for your kids to play without falling off.
- Twin over full
- Slanted Front ladder
- guardrails (Top bed)
- Capacity: 200 lb.(top) & 450 lb. (bottom)
- Assembly instructions are very straightforward making your assembly job very easy
- You can fit a trundle below
- This bed seems feels substantially sturdy
- The satin finish looks handsome
- It’s fairly priced
- You can’t separate it into two beds.
- Assembly isn’t that direct
This is a sleek, heavy-duty, and very well-built bunk bed.
Surprisingly, it’s very affordable.
3. Walker Edison Twin-Over-Twin Metal Bunk Bed 250lbs
Your kids may grow up and you may move to a bigger house.
That’s why a bunk bed which can be separated into two is a sure winner…
This Walker Edison Twin-Over-Twin Metal Bunk (Check it On Amazon.com) can easily be split into 2 individual beds and because of its contemporary design, it was one of our favorite beds for this category.
I’m talking about its much-loved compact footprint – it’s just 68″ H x 79″ W x 42″ D once assembled slimmer than even the coaster home furnishings full over full size bed.
I cannot overlook its stylish tubular steel framing which gives it the capacity to comfortably offer a safe rest for guys weighing as much as 250 lbs.
This is noteworthy considering we didn’t find many of the heavy duty bunk beds separable.
Coming to aesthetics, this gives you more options. You can opt for the cool black- associated with power and elegance or a white finish- associated with safety and brilliance.
Both finishing are safe seeing that they are lead-free.
Its 43.5-inches clearance between the 2 bunks provides enough head room.
The full length guardrails plus the freedom to mount the integrated ladder on either end are the other bonuses
- Twin over full
- Steel construction
- Powder coat finishing (lead-free)
- Capacity: 250 lbs.
- Ladder fixed on either end
- Assembly instructions are easier to follow making setup simpler
- It has plenty of clearance between the 2 bunks and you should sit comfortably
- The bed is quite stable
- Separates into two twin beds
- Guard rails are quite high hence safe for kids
- It cannot accommodate a trundle
- With bare feet, the ladder may be a bit painful
The walker Edison twin-over-twin metal bunk bed separates easily into two beds.
It also has one of the most modern constructions.
4. DHP Twin-Over-Twin Bunk Bed With Metal Frame And Ladder 200 Lb /225 Lb
Majority of the twin sized beds are classics and a child may never outgrow them saving you the unnecessary expense of having to replace beds every now and then.
The other reason why these beds fly off the shelves is that most work like well-oiled machines.
Still coming from DHP, this Twin-Over-Twin Bunk Bed With Metal Frame (Check it On Amazon.com) enter our list on the account of 2 main factors:
First and foremost, I don’t think I have come across a bunk this easy to assemble. Well, it comes assembly ready and even if you hate the DIY stuff, this one is just lovable…
It also scores big on pricing… we had intentionally price shopped for quality twin-over-twins including checking on sturdy wooden bunk beds and this was one of the few pocket friendly deals around.
Yes, it’s not exaggerated on aesthetics – though its black coating looks good- or on the construction but it’s a good sturdy bed, at a good price, and offers real value for your money.
- Slanted Front ladder
- Full length guardrails
- Capacity: 200 lb.( top) 225 lb. ( bottom)
- Twin over twin
- Since the front ladder is slanted, you enjoy extra safety
- It’s super Easy to assemble
- Looks as if it may last for many years
- It’s fairly sturdy
- It’s not as expensive as some of the queen bunk beds for adults
- It cannot convert into two individual beds
- The ladder is designed to stick to only one side
This is a good sturdy bed, at a good price, and offers real value for your money.
No wonder it’s a well-liked twin-over-twin bunk bed.
5. DONCO Bunk Bed Full Over Full With Trundle
Excellent in design and top performing, this DONCO Bunk Bed Full Over Full With Trundle (Check it On Amazon.com) carries a little bit of everything.
In fact, it seems hell-bent on winning the race for the best heavy-duty bunk beds.
You would think the designer first sat and analyzed what the competition had to offer before setting out to challenge them with his all-inclusive design.
You see, it has a trundle which I find very convenient for sudden sleepovers.
Then it has headboards and footboards (2 in each case) which translate to more space for your pillows and your feet.
A cushy ladder is quite important for these types of beds and this doesn’t disappoint- the ladder rungs are soft and flat
The top bunk is as usual lined with higher safety rails so you can sleep sound knowing that you can’t roll out and fall to the floor.
Perhaps the only concern is that it’s wooden- which doesn’t mean it’s any weak but we know that metallic frames are unbeatable in terms of durability and the way they stand up to weight.
Well, I feel the bed has compensated for what it lacks in durability with its natural, classy appearance and a fantastic pricing!
- Solid wood construction
- Roll-out trundle.
- Separated into 2 full beds
- Includes head boards, foot boards, side rails, and ladder
- It has a roll-out trundle so it’s quite good for sleepovers.
- The ladder rungs are soft and flat
- The finish is lead-free hence child-safe.
- It looks fairly good-looking
- This design can easily be separated into two separate full size beds
- It’s wooden so you can’t compare its strength to metallic bunk beds
With almost everything you would ask for, this is another striking option.
It could be an exemplary choice when you want to balance excellence in design with performance.
Sturdy bunk beds for adults are stylish, safer, and functional for plus size guys.
They economize on floor space; can sleep several of your big-sized guests and children while being flexible enough to be used even as a sofa.
If you’re to get the best, check on factors like its weight limit, accessibility, and design among others.
This way, you have happier moments with sturdy bunk beds for adults
- Best Recliners For Large Men and Tall Men
- Best Plus Size Furniture For Extra Large Comfort
- Best Treadmill For Heavy Person
- Best Bed Frame For Overweight Person
- Best Plus Size Waist Trainer For Weight Loss
- Best Office Chairs With 300 Lb Weight Limit
- Best Sturdy Bed Frame For Obese Person
- Best Recliner For Heavy Person